2 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
8 Swiss brown button mushrooms
2 finger eggplants, cut into 4cm pieces
1 red capsicum, cut into 4cm pieces
1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup grated mozzarella
¼ cup grated pecorino cheese
Fresh thyme, to garnish
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups milk
¾ cup polenta
25 g butter, chopped
- Combine thyme, garlic, oil and vinegar in a large bowl. Add vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Arrange in a single layer in a roasting pan.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 minutes, or until tender. Cover to keep warm. Increase oven to hot (200C).
- Meanwhile to make polenta, bring stock and milk to boil in a large non-stick saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly add polenta in a thin, steady stream, whisking until combined. Reduce heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, with a wooden spoon for about 25 to 30 minutes or until thickened and polenta grains are soft. Stir in butter. Remove from heat. Stand 2 minutes.
- Spoon polenta onto an oven tray lined with baking paper to form a 25cm circle. Make a well in the centre. Top with vegetables. Sprinkle with combined cheeses.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove and stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with thyme.