3 cups popcorn, cooked
1 cup low-fat milk
2 sachets dried yeast
2 tsp caster sugar
2 ½ cups plain baker's flour
2 free-range eggs
1 free-range egg yolk
125 g unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp fine salt
- Put popcorn in a blender and pulse until a powder forms. Pass through a fine sieve to remove large pieces. Warm milk gently (it must not feel hot to touch), then mix in yeast and sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Put flour and popcorn powder in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolk and 100g of the butter into milk mixture.
- On low speed, add milk mixture to popcorn mixture and beat until a dough forms. Add salt, then beat for a further 10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, then set aside in a draught-free place for 1 hour, until it doubles in size. Gently form into a ball, then transfer to an oiled 24 x 13 x 6.5cm loaf tin. Cover again and set aside to double in size again.
- Preheat oven to 190°C fanforced (210°C conventional). Place dough in oven, mist with water, then bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden and crunchy. Brush top with remaining butter. Cool on a wire rack.