cooking oil spray
2 tblsps finely chopped carrot
½ bunch spring onions finely chopped to garnish
¼ cup soy sauce to serve
filling - makes 2 cups
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp shao hsing
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp caster sugar
250 g pork mince
150 g prawn meat chopped
50 g shiitake mushrooms stalks removed, finely chopped
2 green spring onions finely chopped
¼ cup fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
1 tsp sesame oil
¼ cup water chestnuts drained, finely chopped (50 g)
2 tsps fresh ginger finely grated
ground white pepper to taste
24 gow gee wrappers
- To make filling, combine sauce, wine, cornflour, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well with your hands. Cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm.
- Place one gow gee wrapper on a tray lined with baking paper. Roll 1 tblsp of filling into a ball. Place into centre of wrapper. Press wrapper onto filling, pleating edges around filling, leaving top exposed. Tap lightly on bench to form a 4cm flat base. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. Top each with carrot.
- Line a large bamboo steamer (23cm in diameter) with a circle of baking paper. Spray lightly with oil. Arrange half the dumplings in steamer, about 1cm apart. Cover with lid.
- Place enough water in a wok to come one-third of the way up the side. Bring to a simmer. Place steamer over wok. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until just cooked through. Repeat this process with the remaining dumplings.
- Garnish with onions. Serve with soy sauce.