800 g pork loin, trimmed, cut into 32 even-sized cubes (about 3cm)
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
2 bunches fresh sage, leaves picked (64 leaves)
32 thin slices flat pancetta
2 green apples, peeled, cored, sliced
½ cup Sicilian green olives, pitted
¼ cup whole-egg aioli
2 large fresh beetroot, trimmed, peeled
2 carrots, peeled
1 firm pear
½ bunch mint, leaves picked
½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Put pork and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large bowl. Toss to coat, then season.
- Put 2 of the sage leaves on either side of 1 cube of the pork, then wrap in 1 slice of the pancetta. Repeat with remaining sage leaves, pork cubes and pancetta slices. Thread pork onto 8 pre-soaked bamboo skewers. Set aside.
- Preheat barbecue grill to high. Toss apple in 1 tablespoon of the oil and grill, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until lightly charred. Set aside to cool. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor with Sicilian olives and aioli. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Cut beetroot, carrot and pear into matchsticks and combine in a large bowl with mint, parsley and garlic.
- Grill skewers, turning several times, for 6-8 minutes or until pancetta is crisp and pork is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, add vinegar and remaining oil to beetroot salad, then season. Serve skewers with beetroot salad and apple sauce on the side.