2 tsp cornflour
1 tbsp water
300 g packet frozen spring roll pastry sheets, thawed
vegetable oil, for deep-fat frying
sweet and sour sauce, to serve
350 g pork mince
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage
5 green spring onions, cut into thin matchsticks
1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
½ x 230 g can sliced water chestnuts, drained, cut into thin matchsticks
- To make filling, combine mince, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Mix well.
- Heat half the vegetable oil in a large wok over a high heat. Add mince mixture and stir-fry for about 3 minutes, or until cooked. Transfer to a large bowl. Wipe wok clean.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in same wok. Add cabbage, onions, carrot and chestnuts. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or until softened. Stir into mince mixture. Cool.
- Blend cornflour with water.
- Place 1 pastry sheet on a clean bench, with one corner pointing towards you. Cover remaining sheets with a clean damp cloth. Brush edges with cornflour mixture. Place a heaped tablespoon of filling across the corner closest to you. Fold over same corner to cover filling. Fold in both sides and tightly roll up pastry, ensuring no air bubbles are trapped as you roll. Brush extra cornflour mixture over the end to secure. Place on a tray and cover with a damp cloth. Repeat to make 20 rolls.
- Pour vegetable oil in same clean dry wok until halfway up the side. Heat over a medium heat until 175C on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Deep-fry, in four batches, turning occasionally, for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce