Recommended daily serving sizes
- 5-6 serves vegetables and legumes
- 3-6 serves grain (cereal foods), mostly wholegrain and high fibre varieties
- 2-3 serves lean meats and poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts and seeds, legumes/beans
- 3-4 serves milk, yogurt, cheese and dairy alternatives
- 2 serves fruit
Tips to portion control
We spoke with Chloe McLeod, sports dietitian and co-founder of Health & Performance Co for her tips on portion control. If you’re looking to control your portions Chloe recommends:
- Drink plenty of water
- Fill up on lots of colourful veggies
- Include legumes as a regular part of your intake
How to adjust the portions if you want to diet?
If you’re looking to adjust your portion sizes Chloe recommends two key things to keep in mind.
“Keep protein intake high and monitor your carbohydrates, they will go up and down daily depending on your activity levels.”
If you cut out meals or food groups all together you are more likely to lapse and end up snacking or binging on discretionary foods as you look for that feeling of being full.
If you’re looking to cut down on your portion sizes to help support weight loss, Chloe recommends:
- Eat slowly, ‘mindfully’ without distractions like TV and give your body time to give you feedback.
- Put your cutlery down between mouthfuls when you’re chewing, or sip water in between swallows to slow your pace.
- Pace yourself with a ‘slow’ eater or even the clock.
- Concentrate on how food looks, smells, tastes and feels in your mouth and stomach.