melted butter, to grease
240 g caster sugar
130 ml water
1 cinnamon stick
80 g plain flour
400 ml full cream milk
6 free-range egg yolks
finely grated zest ½ lemon
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 x 375 g frozen puff pastry sheets, defrosted, still cold
icing sugar mixture, to dust
ground cinnamon, to sprinkle
- Grease two 12-hole, 1 /3 -cup capacity muffin trays with butter. Preheat oven to as hot as possible using the fan-forced function with heat from top and bottom.
- Put a heavy oven tray or pizza stone in the oven to preheat. (This will ensure pastry bases cook.)
- Combine caster sugar, water and cinnamon in a small saucepan over high heat until syrup reaches 100oC on a cook’s thermometer. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Whisk flour and 100ml of the milk in a large bowl.
- Heat remaining milk in a medium saucepan until it just reaches boiling point. Remove from heat and pour into the flour and milk mixture, whisking to combine.
- In another large bowl, whisk egg yolks, lemon zest and vanilla extract to combine, then whisk it into the warm milk mixture until combined, then whisk in the cooled sugar syrup to finish the custard.
- Cut one pastry sheet in half. Place one half on top of the other to form a double layer, then roll the two layers together into a long scroll.
- Cut the scroll in half, then each half into 6 to create 12 pieces. (Creating these scrolls will ensure multiple crispy layers in the pastry when it cooks.)
- Using a rolling pin, roll each piece into a disc about 10cm wide, but ensuring the discs are a little thicker on the inside and thinner on the outside. The edges will look a little frilly.
- Push each pastry disc gently into the prepared tin holes.
- Using half of the custard mixture, ladle or pour mixture evenly between pastry cases.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until nicely browned on top. Remove from oven and set aside to cool in the muffin tray until cool enough to handle. Remove from tray and set aside on a wire rack.
- While the first tray of tarts are cooling, prepare the second tray, repeating steps 7-12.
- Serve tarts warm or at room temperature, dusted with a little icing sugar and a pinch of ground cinnamon.