1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions halved, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic crushed
500 g beef mince
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 cup beef stock
4 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry thawed
¼ cup tomato sauce to serve
500 g red delight potatoes peeled, chopped
50 g butter chopped
¼ cup milk
1 egg yolk
- Grease four oval pie tins (1¼-cup capacity). Place on an oven tray.
- To make filling, heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add garlic and beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned and liquid has almost evaporated. Stir in flour. Cook for 30 seconds. Stir in paste, sauce and stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil. Simmer, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, or until very thick. Cool.
- To make topping, boil potatoes in a large saucepan covered with water until tender. Drain. Return to same pan over a medium to low heat. Add butter. Mash. Beat in milk with a wooden spoon. Stir in yolk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Line prepared tins with pastry. Trim edges. Divide cold filling among cases. Spoon topping into a piping bag fitted with a 2cm fluted nozzle. Pipe over beef. Return tins to oven tray.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 35 minutes, or until potato is golden and bases are cooked. Serve with tomato sauce.