1 tbsp grapeseed oil, plus extra for deep-frying
1 tsp sesame oil
10 cm piece ginger, cut into matchsticks
8 small Swiss brown mushrooms, finely sliced
2 tbsp rice vinegar
250 g Asian pickled mixed vegetables
350 g green prawns cutlets, peeled, tails removed, deveined, meat chopped
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 ½ tbsp cornflour
¼ tsp Chinese five spice
¼ tsp ground white pepper
20 frozen spring roll wrappers, partially thawed
1 free-range egg white, lightly whisked
sweet chilli sauce, to serve
soy sauce, to serve
chopped fresh red chilli, to serve
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. Add 1⁄2 of the grapeseed oil, 1⁄2 of the sesame oil and the ginger. Stir‐fry for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining grapeseed and sesame oils to wok along with mushrooms. Stir‐fry for 3 minutes. Add vinegar, cooking for a further 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Squeeze excess liquid from pickled vegetables through a sieve or with your hands. Pat dry then cut into matchsticks. Add to bowl of mushrooms along with prawn meat.
- Combine light soy sauce, cornflour, five spice and white pepper in a small bowl then add to mushroom mixture. Use your hands to mix until well combined.
- Put a spring roll wrapper on a clean surface. Brush 3 sides with whisked egg white. Spoon 11⁄2 tbsp of the mushroom mixture along unbrushed edge, leaving space along edge to fold over mixture and at each end to enclose filling. Fold the unbrushed edge over filling and pull back tightly to form a firm log. Continue to roll up, folding in ends when half rolled. Once rolled, seal with more egg white and press down firmly to form a flat seam. Repeat with the remaining spring roll wrappers and filling.
- To make dipping sauce, combine a little sweet chilli and soy sauces along with chopped chilli. Set aside.
- Heat the extra grapeseed oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 175°C. Cook spring rolls in batches of 5 for 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.