125 g butter softened
½ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp finely grated fresh orange zest
1 ⅔ cups plain flour
40 long bamboo skewer
1 container coloured buttercream icing to decorate
1 package sprinkles (sugar crystalized cachous) to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Use electric beaters to beat together the butter and caster sugar.
- Add egg, vanilla essence and orange zest, beat to combine. Add flour and stir. When thoroughly combined, divide into 2 portions and flatten slightly, then cover in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 min.
- Working one batch at a time, roll dough to 5mm thick. Cut out biscuits using 5cm shaped cutters. Roll small balls of the dough and press onto the top of the skewers. Arrange skewers on trays, place dough shapes on top of the balls, press lightly to secure. Cook for 10-12 min and cool on a wire rack.
- When completely cool, decorate with Coloured Icing, white icing, sprinkles, crystals and cachous. Arrange cookies between four boxes lined with tissue paper and filled with oasis, add ribbon to decorate.
- Mix 1½ cups icing sugar mixture with 1 tablespoon water. Stir until smooth and free of lumps. Colour as desired.