2 x 250 g packets plain sweet biscuits
2 cups caster sugar
130 g butter, melted
2 x 250 g packets cream cheese, softened
400 g pumpkin, cooked and mashed
½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
1 cup dark cooking chocolate, coarsely chopped
1¼ cups sour cream
¼ cup caster sugar
1 tsp ground nutmeg, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 30 x 20 x 5cm slice tin. Set aside.
- To make crust, combine crushed biscuits and ¼ cup sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in 80g butter. Press mixture evenly into bottom of prepared tin; set aside.
- Put cream cheese and remaining sugar in the large mixing bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed until smooth. Reduce speed and add eggs, 1 at a time, until just combined. Beat in pumpkin, mixed spice, vanilla and salt until just combined. Transfer 1¼ cups of mixture to a medium bowl.
- Put chocolate and remaining butter in a small heavy saucepan and cook over low heat until melted. Stir into the pumpkin mixture. Pour over crust, spreading evenly. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Carefully pour remaining pumpkin mixture over baked chocolate layer, spreading evenly. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until filling is puffed and centre is set. Cool in tin on wire rack for 30 minutes.
- To make topping, combine sour cream and sugar in a small bowl. Gently spread mixture over cheesecake. Cool completely. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. Cut into squares. Before serving, sprinkle top with nutmeg.