1 cup vegetable stock
½ cup white quinoa, rinsed
400 g can black beans, drained
4 green spring onions, thinly sliced
½ cup fresh coriander leaves
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground chilli powder
½ cup dried breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 multi-grain bread rolls, halved
Tomato chutney, to serve
Lettuce, to serve
Sliced tomato, to serve
Sliced red onion, to serve
Coriander sprigs, to garnish
1 large avocado, peeled, deseeded
2 tsp finely chopped fresh coriander
2 tsp lime juice
- Bring stock to boil in a medium pan. Add quinoa. Simmer, covered for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Cool.
- Process beans, onions, coriander, cumin and chilli in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs, egg, quinoa and salt and pepper.
- Divide and shape into four patties, about 2cm-thick. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- To make guacamole, mash avocado in a bowl with salt and pepper. Stir in herb and juice.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add patties. Cook for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Top roll bases with chutney, lettuce, patties, tomato, onion and guacamole. Garnish with coriander. Replace tops.