25 g butter, melted
2 tbsp olive oil
4 shallots, finely diced
75 g smoked pancetta, diced
225 g radicchio (about 1)
225 g risotto rice
500- 600 ml chicken stock
4- 6 slices thinly sliced pancetta
2 tbsp full-fat crème fraîche
25- 50 g parmesan, finely grated
- Melt 25g of butter and 2 tbsp olive oil in a small casserole dish. Add the shallots and fry gently until soft. Add the diced pancetta and continue to cook, stirring, until almost crisp.
- In the meantime, cut the top half off the radicchio and shred. Slice the bottom half into thin wedges, trimming the root but leaving enough of it behind to hold the wedges together.
- Add the rice to the pan, stir briskly for a minute or two, then add the shredded radicchio and a ladleful of stock. Cook at a gentle simmer, stirring from time to time, adding more stock as it is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat a cast-iron chargrill pan and cook the radicchio wedges on both sides so they are slightly charred. Remove and set aside.
- Heat a frying pan and dry-fry the pancetta slices until the fat turns golden. Remove from pan and set aside – they will go crisp.
- When the rice is nearly cooked but still has a good bite (about 20 minutes), check for seasoning, turn off the heat, add the crème fraîche and the extra butter, stir well, put the lid on the casserole and leave for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the chargrilled radicchio wedges. Top each plateful with the crisp pancetta and parmesan.