4 free-range eggs, room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
⅔ cup self-raising flour
⅓ cup plain flour
50 g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
½ cup raspberry jam
1 cup shredded coconut
pink food colouring, to tint
fresh flowers, to decorate
1 ¾ cups thickened cream
⅓ cup icing sugar mixture
1 tsp vanilla extract
250 g tub mascarpone
- Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk attachment for about 7 minutes, or until very thick. Add sugar, 1 tblsp at a time, beating well after each addition, until sugar is dissolved.
- Sift combined flours twice onto a sheet of baking paper. Sift again over egg mixture. Using a handheld balloon whisk, fold in until combined. Do not stir. Gently fold in butter. Divide between pans.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and sponges slightly shrink away from side of pans. Remove from oven. Stand in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto greased wire racks to cool.
- To make mascarpone cream, beat cream, sugar and vanilla in same, clean bowl of electric mixer until firm peaks form. Gently fold in mascarpone.
- Cut sponges in half horizontally. Place one sponge half on a serving plate. Spread with 2 tblsps of jam, then ¾ cup cream. Repeat layering with remaining sponges, jam and cream, finishing with a sponge layer. Spread remaining cream over top and side.
- Place coconut in a snap-lock bag. Add a few drops of colouring. Seal. Rub coconut through bag to tint. Lightly press coconut around side of cake.
- Decorate top with flowers.