Melted butter, to grease
2 tbsp plain flour, to dust
1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed, finely chopped
460 g caster sugar
2 tbsp water
180 g unsalted butter, softened
3 eggs, at room temperature
250 g plain flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
250 g hazelnut meal
1 carton custard to serve
1 carton ice-cream
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Grease a fluted 3cm-deep loose-bottomed tart tin with butter. Add flour and shake tin to coat. Shake out excess flour. Put rhubarb, 200g of the caster sugar and water in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until thick and jam-like. Spread over an oven tray and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine butter and remaining sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium, using paddle attachment, until light and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour and spices over butter mixture, then add lemon zest and hazelnut meal. Fold in gently until a soft dough.
- Fit a piping bag with a 2cm star-shaped nozzle and fill with ½ of the dough mixture. Pipe over base and sides of prepared tin, using the back of a spoon to press into grooves.
- Spread rhubarb mixture onto dough, leaving a 2cm border at top.
- Put remaining dough mixture into piping bag. Pipe ½ of the dough over rhubarb in a lattice pattern.
- Form a decorative border with remaining dough. Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is deep golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm with custard and ice cream on the side.