2 kg piece beef topside
olive oil (60 mls)
salt & pepper to taste
6 pickling onions peeled
1 bulb garlic halved crossways
2 large carrots peeled and quartered lengthways
9 chat potatoes unpeeled and halved
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 cups beef stock (500 ml)
600 g broccoli steamed to serve
1 head cauliflower steamed to serve
horseradish cream (100 g)
2 tbsp hot water
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- Tie beef with kitchen string at 5cm intervals. Rub with 2 tbsp of the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, rosemary and remaining oil in a large roasting pan. Pour over stock. Top with beef.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer beef to a serving plate. Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 15 minutes. Keep vegetables warm in a very slow oven (120C).
- Meanwhile, to make horseradish sauce, combine all ingredients in a small jug. Mix well.
- Remove string from beef. Thickly slice. Serve with horseradish sauce, roasted vegetables, broccoli and cauliflower.