3 duck legs
500 ml chicken stock
500 ml pomegranate juice
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground cinnamon
175 g bulghar wheat
6 plums, halved and stoned
1 tbsp olive oil
300 g green beans, trimmed and halved
seeds from 1 pomegranate, or 110 g tub pomegranate seeds
1 red onion, finely chopped
50 g toasted flaked almonds
200 g pack feta, crumbled
large bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
small bunch mint, leaves picked and torn
For the dressing
100 ml pomegranate juice
3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 preserved lemons, middles scooped out and discarded, skins finely sliced
2 lemons juiced
1 tbsp clear honey
- Up to 2 days before, sit the duck legs in your slow cooker or a small casserole or baking dish – if you don’t have a slow cooker, heat oven to 180C fan. Pour over the stock and pomegranate juice so that the legs are submerged. Poke in the cinnamon stick, cover with the lid, or tightly with foil, and slow-cook for 4 hrs on High, or in the oven for 2 hrs, until the duck is really tender. Cool in the liquid, then chill until you make the salad.
- One hour before you want to start the salad, lift the duck legs from the liquid, pat dry with kitchen paper and sit in a roasting tin to dry out a little.
- Heat oven to 220C fan. Rub the cumin and cinnamon all over the duck legs with plenty of salt and some ground black pepper, and roast for 15-20 mins. Meanwhile, cook the bulghar wheat following pack instructions, then drain well. Heat a dry chargrill pan, brush the halved plums with a little olive oil and cook for about 5 mins on either side. Set everything aside to cool a little while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the green beans and cook for 2-4 mins until tender but still with some bite. Drain under cold running water to cool.
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients with plenty of seasoning.
- When the duck is cool enough to handle, shred the meat and crispy skin from the bones. Transfer to a platter with the roasted plums, pomegranate seeds, red onion, bulghar wheat, green beans, flaked almonds, feta and herbs. Toss everything together gently with the dressing and eat immediately.