2 kg chicken breasts on the bone skin on, halved crossways
1.5 tbsp sweet paprika
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil (40 ml)
2 onions finely sliced
4 bacon rashers short-cut and thinly sliced
1 tbsp thyme leaves
3 garlic cloves chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
⅔ cup dry sherry
400 g can chopped tomatoes
1.5 cups chicken stock (375 ml)
450 g sweet potato peeled and chopped into 2cm pieces
1 cup frozen peas (125 g)
¼ bunch fresh parsley finely chopped
1 loaf crusty bread to serve
- Place chicken in a large bowl. Add combined paprika, salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in a flameproof roasting pan over a high heat. Cook chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden. Remove.
- Add onions, bacon, thyme and garlic to the same pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender. Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add sherry and reduce by half.
- Return chicken to pan with tomatoes, chicken stock and sweet potato. Bring to boil. Cover tightly with foil.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 40 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Add peas. Cover and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with crusty bread.