5 kg whole turkey
¼ cup olive oil
Roast vegetables and steamed greens, to serve
Fruit & pine nut stuffing
50 g butter, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 small stalks celery, finely chopped
4 bacon rashers, trimmed, finely chopped
8 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
½ cup dried fruit medley mix
⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted
Salt and pepper, to taste
Pan juices, reserved from cooking turkey
¼ cup plain flour
- To make stuffing, melt butter in a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in remaining ingredients. Remove from heat.
- Remove and discard neck from turkey. Rinse turkey under cold water. Pat dry inside and out with absorbent kitchen paper. Spoon stuffing into body cavity. Tuck wings underneath. Secure crossed legs with unwaxed kitchen string.
- Place turkey, breast-side up, in an extra large, flameproof roasting pan. Brush oil all over turkey. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pan with greased foil.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 3 hours. Remove from oven. Remove foil and pierce skin all over with a skewer. Return to oven. Cook for a further 45 minutes, or until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh. Transfer turkey to a large plate. Rest, covered with foil.
- To make gravy, place roasting pan containing pan juices on stove top over a medium heat. Sprinkle over flour. Stir for about 1 minute, or until bubbling and lightly browned. Gradually whisk in stock until smooth. Bring to boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until thickened. Season with pepper. Strain into a jug.
- Serve turkey with gravy, roast vegetables and steamed greens.