1.4 kg butternut pumpkin peeled seeded, cut into 3cm cubes
½ small cauliflower, cut into florets
2 parsnips peeled core removed cut into 3cm cubes
4 carrots, peeled, thickly sliced
2 baby fennel, trimmed, sliced
1 brown onion, cut into thin wedges
½ bulb garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
sea salt flakes
ground black pepper
8 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
2 cups water
⅓ cup basil pesto, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Put all vegetables in a large bowl, then add oil and toss until combined.
- Transfer vegetables to prepared trays, then season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze garlic cloves from skins into a small bowl.
- Transfer ½ of the vegetables to the large bowl of a food processor with 1½ cups of the vegetable or chicken stock.
- Puree until mixture is your desired consistency. Transfer to a large deep saucepan. Repeat Steps 4-5 with remaining vegies and another 1½ cups of the stock.
- Add remaining stock and water to pan. Put over a medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top each with 1 tbsp of the pesto and serve with bread on the side.