1.4 kg lamb shoulder with bone-in
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
3 cups water
½ cup white wine
1 ½ tbsp mint jelly
¼ cup traditional gravy powder
Mashed potato and steamed peas, to serve
Finely shredded fresh mint and toasted pine nuts, to garnish
- Season lamb with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large, flameproof roasting pan over a high heat. Cook lamb for about 5 minutes on both sides, or until browned. Remove from heat. Add stock and water. Cover pan with foil.
- Cook in a slow oven (150C) for 2 hours. Discard foil. Baste lamb with cooking juices. Cook, uncovered, for a further 2 hours, or until meat pulls away easily from the bone. Remove lamb. Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 15 minutes.
- To make gravy, pour cooking liquid from pan into a heatproof jug. Skim off excess fat and discard. Return to pan with wine and jelly. Bring to boil. Whisk in gravy powder until smooth. Boil for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until thickened.
- Thickly shred meat. Serve with mashed potato, peas and gravy. Garnish with mint and nuts.