1.5 kg rolled pork loin rind scored at 1cm intervals
3 tsp table salt
2 tsp celery salt
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
½ tsp ground fennel seeds
2 tbsp olive oil (40 mls)
2 red onions each cut into 8 wedges
4 parsnips peeled and quartered lengthways
3 pears quartered
salt & pepper to taste
1 packet prepared gravy to serve
½ bunch fresh thyme to garnish
- Tie pork at 5cm intervals with kitchen string. Place on a roasting rack in a roasting pan.
- Combine salts, parsley, seeds and half the oil in a bowl. Rub over rind.
- Combine remaining oil with onions, parsnips and pears in a separate large, non-stick roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pork on top shelf in a very hot oven (240C) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until rind has blistered. Reduce oven to hot (200C). Add vegetables to the lowest shelf.
- Cook pork and vegetables for 30 minutes. Turn vegetables. Cook for a further 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and pork is cooked to your liking. Remove pork. Rest pork, uncovered, in a warm place for 15 minutes. Keep vegetables warm in a very slow oven (120C).
- Remove string from pork. Slice and serve with vegetables and gravy. Garnish with thyme.