2 cups (400g) white sugar
750 ml bottle rose wine
1 cup pomegranate juice
6 peaches, halved, stones removed
½ cup flaked coconut, toasted
vanilla ice-cream or cream, to serve
- Choose a deep-wide frying pan or saucepan so peaches sit closely together in a single layer. Combine the sugar, rosé and pomegranate juice in the saucepan. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil.
- Add peaches to the syrup. Place a sheet of baking paper over peaches then weigh down with a plate (this keeps the peaches submerged so they cook evenly).
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside in the syrup for 1 hour.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the peaches to a tray, carefully peel and discard the skin. Place peaches in a container and refrigerate. Return the syrup to the stove top, bring to the boil over medium heat. Boil gently 15 minutes until syrup reduces by half. Cool. Refrigerate until cold.
- Pour syrup over the peaches, sprinkle with coconut and serve with ice cream.