200 g 70% cocoa dark chocolate, chopped
125 g unsalted butter, chopped
4 eggs, separated
¾ cup caster sugar
⅓ cup plain flour
½ cup apricot jam, warmed, strained
Rich Chocolate Writing Fudge, to decorate
Whipped cream, to serve
200 g block Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
⅔ cup pure cream
- Grease a 24cm round springform pan (base measuring 22cm). Line base and side with baking paper.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan by stirring over a low heat. Transfer to a large bowl. Stand for 10 minutes to cool. Stir in yolks and ¼ cup of the sugar.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until thick and glossy.
- Fold one-third of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture until just combined. Fold in remaining egg white mixture. Sift flour over top. Fold until just combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean. Stand for 10 minutes in pan. Remove side of pan. Invert onto a wire rack to cool. Place rack over an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Split cake in half horizontally. Keeping cake inverted on a wire rack, spread one cut half with jam. Place remaining cake, cut-side down, on top.
- Serve with whipped cream.
- To make ganache, combine chocolate and cream in heatproof bowl. Sit bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Pour on centre of cake. Quickly spread ganache over top and down side of cake. Let set at room temperature. Write ‘Sacher’ on cake with writing fudge.