250 g plain sweet biscuits
150 g unsalted butter, melted
Double cream, to serve
2 cups caster sugar
¾ cup water
1 cup pure cream
½ tsp sea salt flakes
500 g cream cheese
½ cup caster sugar
250 g tub sour cream
- Invert base of a 24cm round springform pan. Grease and line with baking paper.
- Process biscuits in a food processor until finely crushed. Add butter. Process until combined. Press mixture over base and up side of prepared pan. Place pan on an oven tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make sauce, dissolve sugar in water in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Bring to boil. Gently boil, without stirring, for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Immediately stir in cream until smooth. Stir in salt. Transfer to a heatproof jug. Cool slightly.
- To make filling, beat cheese and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in sour cream. Pour half the filling over base. Drizzle over half the caramel sauce. Top with remaining filling. Using a skewer, gently swirl mixtures together.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until just set. Centre should have a slight wobble. Cool in oven with door ajar for 1 hour. Remove. Cover. Refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, remove side of pan. Slide onto a serving plate. Serve with double cream and remaining caramel sauce.