2 ready-rolled shortcrust pastry sheets, defrosted and chilled
100 g block salted dark chocolate bar, cut in half
2 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 handfuls flaked almonds
pure icing sugar, to dust
double cream, or ice-cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Lay 1 sheet of pastry on a clean dry surface. Cut one 2.5cm strip off 1 side to form a rectangle. Discard strip. Put ½ of the chocolate in centre of pastry. Spread 1 tbsp of hazelnut spread on top.
- Cut wedges out of corners of pastry to create 2 square ends. Discard offcuts. Cut pastry sides into 4 strips on an angle. Fold pastry ends over chocolate then, starting at end with strips pointing upwards, fold each strip over chocolate, alternating sides, to form a braid. Brush with ½ of the beaten egg.
- Repeat Steps 2–3 with remaining pastry, chocolate, hazelnut spread and egg.
- Put braids on prepared tray and sprinkle outer edges with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove from oven and dust heavily with icing sugar. Return to oven for a further 3 minutes. Let braids cool on tray for about 5 minutes. Cut in half and serve warm with cream or ice-cream.