500 g pork sausages, thickly sliced
1 carrot, coarsely grated
1 spring onion (green onion), finely sliced
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp mustard powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 sheets frozen puff pastry sheets, partially thawed
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Lightly grease a baking tray. Remove the sausage meat from the sausages by squeezing the meat out with your fingers. Place meat into a bowl.
- Add carrot, spring onion, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder and half the egg to the bowl with sausage meat. Using clean hands, mix well to combine.
- Lay pastry sheets out on a clean flat surface. Divide the sausage meat into 2 portions and spoon one portion of filling down the centre of each pastry sheet to form a sausage shape, leaving a 1cm gap at each end. Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry on the diagonal on either side of filling, about 1cm apart so you have about 8-10 cuts on each side.
- Fold pastry over to enclose one end. Then, starting at the same end, lay pastry strips over the filling, taking one from each side and crossing them like a plait until all the strips have been used. Then fold over the remaining end to enclose. Repeat with remaining pastry sheet and sausage meat.
- Transfer the plaits to the baking tray, then brush all over with remaining beaten egg. Bake in the oven for 30 min or until golden brown. Serve hot, warm or cold with salad and tomato ketchup or relish.