1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
500 g sausage mince
250 g beef mince
2 Tbsp tomato paste
3 tsp dried Italian herbs
½ tsp sea-salt flakes
½ tsp finely ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp black sesame seeds
1 jar sweet chilli and ginger relish to serve
1 package cos lettuce salad to serve
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Add minces, tomato paste, dried herbs, salt and pepper, then stir until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Put 1 sheet of puff pastry on a clean and dry work surface. Cut off the top ¹⁄³ of sheet and reserve. Roll ¼ of the mince mixture into a sausage shape and put down 1 long edge of sheet. Brush opposite long edge with egg. Roll up firmly to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining pastry, mince mixture and egg, reserving a little of the egg.
- Cut reserved small pastry rectangles into 1cm strips. Put sausage rolls on prepared tray. Brush top of rolls with reserved egg, then arrange pastry strips to form crosses on top of rolls. Brush again with egg and scatter over black sesame seeds.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling is cooked through. Slice and serve with relish and cos lettuce salad on the side.