small pinch saffron threads
1 tsp dried rosemary (or thyme leaves)
900 ml hot chicken stock
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 ½ cups medium-grain rice
400 g canned diced tomatoes
3 x 95 g cans Sirena canned light tuna with lemon and cracked black pepper, undrained
½ cup chopped green beans (or peas)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
200 g cooked prawns, peeled or unpeeled, tails intact
1 lemon, cut into wedges
¼ cup parsley sprigs, to garnish
- Steep the saffron and rosemary or thyme in the hot stock for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium non-stick size frypan and add the onion. Cook over a low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir to distribute evenly. Increase heat. Add the stock and the tomatoes. Stir occasionally until simmering.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Break up the tuna with a fork and spoon it and the juices over the surface of the rice, add the beans or peas and season with a little freshly ground black pepper. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes
- Top paella with prawns, lemon wedges and parsley to serve.