40 g butter
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for rubbing
2 large pita bread, cut into triangles
1 Tbsp sumac
sea salt flakes and pepper, to season
4 lamb backstraps
2 tsp finely chopped, preserved lemon (from deli)
200 g fresh baby spinach leaves
2 handfuls coriander
60 g blanched almonds, toasted, lightly chopped
pomegranate arils (of ½ pomegranate)
200 g pitted Medjool dates, finely chopped
juice of 1 ½ lemons
150 ml boiling water
juice 1 lemon
40 ml extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
½ clove garlic, grated
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
sea salt flakes, to season
- To make date puree, blitz all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Season and set aside.
- To make pomegranate dressing, mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put butter and oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry pita for 1½ minutes, flip and cook for a further 1½ minutes. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with sumac and season with salt. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat a griddle over a high heat or a barbecue grill to high. Season lamb backstraps and rub with oil. Grill lamb for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes. .
- Spread date puree on a platter and sprinkle with preserved lemon.
- Toss spinach and coriander leaves together and arrange over puree. Top with pita, sprinkle with almonds, drizzle generously with dressing and scatter with pomegranate seeds. Slice lamb. Serve salad with lamb on the side