4 kg whole turkey
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup water (250 ml)
1 kg potatoes roasted to serve
8 onions roasted to serve
600 g broccoli steamed to serve
1 packet prepared gravy to serve
1 bunch fresh oregano to garnish
Pork, veal & pistachio seasoning
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
1 stick celery finely chopped
250 g bacon rashers trimmed, finely chopped
500 g pork and veal mince
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (140 g)
1 bunch fresh oregano chopped
chopped pistachios (75 g)
1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
salt and pepper to taste
- To make seasoning, heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion, garlic, celery and bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft. Remove from heat. Stir in mince, breadcrumbs, oregano, nuts and rind. Season with salt and pepper.
- Rinse turkey under cold water. Pat dry inside and out with absorbent kitchen paper. Spoon some of the seasoning into neck cavity and remaining seasoning in large cavity. Tuck wings underneath. Secure crossed legs with unwaxed kitchen string.
- Place turkey, breast-side up, in a large roasting pan. Brush all over with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add water to pan. Cover with greased foil to prevent over-browning.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 2½ hours. Remove from oven. Remove foil and pierce skin all over with a skewer. Return to oven for a further 30 to 45 minutes, or until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into deepest part of the breast.
- Transfer turkey to a large plate. Reserve roasting pan with juices to make gravy. Stand turkey, covered, in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Serve sliced with gravy, roast potatoes and steamed vegetables. Garnish with fresh oregano.