softened unsalted butter, for greasing
1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve
75 g unsalted butter, melted
8 filo pastry sheets
warmed honey, to serve
3 ¼ cups milk
⅔ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 egg yolks
1 cup semolina
25 g unsalted butter, chopped
- Invert base of a 20cm springform pan. Grease with softened butter.
- To make custard, whisk milk, sugar, vanilla and yolks in a large saucepan until combined. Whisk occasionally over a medium heat for about 4 minutes, or until hot.
- Gradually pour in semolina, whisking constantly for about 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove. Stir in butter. Spread over a tray. Refrigerate, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until cold.
- Stir cinnamon into butter.
- Place one sheet of pastry on a clean surface. Lightly brush with some of the butter mixture. Lift into prepared pan, leaving pastry overhanging edge. Repeat with remaining sheets of pastry and butter mixture, overlapping in a clockwise direction to completely line pan.
- Spoon custard into pan. Smooth top. Loosely fold over-hanging pastry towards the centre of pan. Gently brush with butter mixture.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 25 minutes, or until light golden. Remove. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Remove side of pan. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm pie drizzled with honey. Dust with extra cinnamon.