Proudly supported by
For a light, summer salad, look no further. This fresh, citrus, no-cook salad recipe will surprise everyone and goes very nicely at the side of a seafood main.
1 large fennel bulb
2 Lebanese cucumbers
200 g salted Spanish or Kalamata olives, pitted
Sherry vinegar dressing
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp sherry vinegar, white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- Remove the feathery fronds from the fennel tops and reserve. Slice off the long stalks, the base and any tough outer pieces and discard. Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, very thinly slice the fennel. Place into a bowl of iced water to crisp for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the bottoms off the oranges and sit flat on a board. Using a very sharp knife, slice off the peel and white pith. Halve each orange then slice thinly into semi circles, reserving any juice.
- Peel each cucumber, cut in half lengthways then slice quite finely using a mandolin or a sharp knife.
- To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, vinegar and any reserved orange juice and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Drain the fennel well. Combine with the orange, olives and cucumber in a serving bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and scatter over reserved fennel fronds.