250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
½ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1¾ cups plain flour
½ cup rice flour
4 cups icing sugar mixture
2- 3 tbsp milk
Strips of red sour straps, to decorate
Red sugar pearls, to decorate
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Transfer to a large bowl. Add combined sifted flours. Stir until just combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured bench. Bring dough together with your hands. Divide into two equal portions. Shape into flat discs. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Roll out one portion at a time, between two sheets of baking paper until 1cm thick. Using an 8cm candy cane-shaped cutter, cut out 30 shapes, re-rolling dough as necessary. Place about 3cm apart, on three large oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Cook two trays in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 16 minutes, swapping trays halfway through, or until edges are lightly golden. Cool on trays. Repeat with remaining tray.
- To decorate, place sugar in a bowl. Stir in just enough milk until a smooth, thick consistency. Working with one biscuit at a time, spread with 3 tsp icing. Decorate with sour strap and pearls. Stand at room temperature until set.