2 kg piece beef brisket
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
2 tbsp olive oil
4 carrots, chopped
1 brown onion, chopped, plus extra
24 cloves garlic, peeled
½ bunch thyme, leaves picked, plus extra to garnish
1 tbsp sweet paprika
2 cups dry sherry
2 litre beef stock
1 kg potatoes peeled
125 g unsalted butter, melted
Extra 1½ tsp sea-salt flakes
500 g frozen broad beans
¼ cup mint leaves, finely peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 tbsp plain flour
Extra 20 g unsalted butter, softened
- Lightly score the beef on both sides with a sharp knife. Place in a large zip-lock bag with Worcestershire sauce. Seal and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Remove beef from bag, reserving liquid, and season. If your slow cooker has a sear mode, heat the oil in cooker. Otherwise, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add beef to hot pan and cook for 10 minutes or until browned on all sides, then transfer to slow cooker.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic, thyme and paprika to slow cooker. Pour over sherry and stock, adding enough water to cover if needed. Cover with lid. Cook on low for 8 hours or until the meat is fall-apart tender.
- To make potato cakes, preheat oven to 180°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Coarsely grate potatoes and extra onion. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible, using your hands. Put potato mixture in a large bowl. Add butter and extra salt, mixing to combine. Heat a large non‑stick frying pan over medium heat. When hot, form ¼ cups of potato mixture into 6 cakes. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer to oven tray. Cook remaining potato mixture and transfer to tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes until cooked through. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Add broad beans and cook for 2 minutes. Drain. Remove shells from the beans and put in a large bowl. Add mint and toss until combined. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Transfer beef to a plate and Cover to keep warm. Strain liquid from slow cooker through a fine sieve over a large bowl. Press remaining contents through sieve into another large bowl. Combine and transfer to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over a high heat.
- Combine flour and extra butter in a medium bowl. Whisk flour mixture into sauce, a little at a time, until a smooth, glossy gravy forms. Simmer for 10 minutes or until gravy thickens. Serve beef garnished with extra thyme. Serve with gravy, potato cakes and minted broad beans.