250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
1⅓ cups caster sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
⅔ cup milk
2½ cups self-raising flour
1 licorice strap to decorate
black jelly beans to decorate
4½ cups icing sugar mixture
⅓ cup milk
pink food colouring
liquid blue food colouring
liquid green food colouring
liquid yellow food colouring
- Line two 12-hole muffin pans (1/3-cup capacity) with large paper cases.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Add milk and sifted flour, in two batches, stirring until combined. Divide mixture evenly among prepared pan holes.
- Cook both pans in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centres come out clean. Stand in pans for 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Spread each icing evenly over six cupcakes. Stand for 5 minutes, or until set. Cut licorice strap into 6cm lengths for smiles on cupcakes. Decorate with jelly beans for eyes.
- To make icing, combine sugar and milk in a large bowl. Stir until smooth. Divide evenly among four small bowls. Tint each bowl with a different colouring.