1 tbsp olive oil
200 g speck, trimmed, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp smoked paprika
400 g canned diced tomatoes
¼ cup La Morena chillies/ peppers chipotles in adobo sauce or 1 tsp Mexican chilli powder (see tips, below)
½ cup water
2 tbsp maple syrup
400 g canned cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
Salt and pepper, to season
6 thick slices wholegrain bread or light rye bread, toasted
2 avocados, halved, peeled, thinly sliced
6 poached or fried eggs, to serve
micro herbs or chopped parsley, to serve
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add speck, cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove speck from pan, draining oil back into pan.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until soft. Add paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Return speck to pan. Add tomatoes, chiles with 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce from can, water and maple syrup. Stir until combined. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in beans and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until thickened. Season. Beans can be made up to 3 days ahead and stored in the fridge. Add ¼ cup water when reheating.
- Spoon beans onto toast. Top with avocado and egg and sprinkle with micro herbs or parsley to serve.