2.5 kg lean beef short ribs bone in
2 40 g sachets fajita seasoning mix
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions finely chopped
⅓ bunch fresh coriander root and stem, washed and finely chopped
6 garlic cloves crushed
4 carrots peeled and finely chopped
4 stalks celery finely chopped
¼ cup tomato paste (65 g)
2 cups beef stock (500 mls)
½ cup smoky barbecue sauce (125 ml)
1 kg potatoes cooked and mashed
¼ small red cabbage finely shredded (180 g)
1 small bulb fennel thinly sliced
1 red apple thinly sliced
2 tbsp fresh coriander finely chopped
cracked black pepper to serve
- Place ribs in a large bowl with spice mix, chilli and salt. Toss to coat. Shake off excess, reserving remaining spice mixture.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add ribs in two batches. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until browned. Place in a 5 to 6-litre slow cooker with reserved spice mixture.
- Add onions, coriander, garlic, carrots and celery to same frying pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, or until soft.
- Add tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute. Add stock and sauce. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Pour over ribs. Cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 5 hours, or until ribs are tender. Skim off fat.
- To make apple slaw, combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Serve ribs with apple slaw and mashed potato. Season with cracked black pepper, if desired.