1 tbsp instant coffee granules
2 tbsp boiling water
150 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
1½ cups sour cream, at room temperature
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Icing sugar mixture, to decorate
1 cup walnuts, toasted
¼ cup caster sugar
¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tbsp instant coffee granules
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Maple syrup cream
300 ml tub thickened cream
2 tbsp maple syrup
- Grease a deep 22cm round baba pan.
- To make walnut streusel, combine all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse to form fine crumbs. Set aside.
- Dissolve coffee in water in a small jug. Cool. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Beat in coffee mixture. Stir in sour cream. Transfer to a large bowl. Add combined sifted flour, baking powder and soda. Stir until combined.
- Sprinkle one-third of the streusel over pan base. Spoon over one-third of the cake mixture. Spread evenly. Repeat layering, with remaining streusel and cake mixture.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 50 to 55 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, to make maple syrup cream, beat cream and syrup in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Dust warm cake with sifted icing sugar. Serve with maple cream.