2 x 340 g packets moist chocolate cake mix
125 g red fondant
Foil-covered chocolate stars, to decorate
Yellow lolly stars, to decorate
red mini M&Ms's, to decorate
Silver cachous, to decorate
250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
2¼ cups icing sugar mixture
blue food colouring paste
- Grease a Wilton football-shape cake pan (8-cup capacity). Place on an oven tray.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean. Stand for 30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar mixture, ½ cup at a time, beating until smooth. Tint blue.
- Place cake on a chopping board. Measuring 6cm up from one pointy end, cut off cake. Cut piece of cake in half to form two wings. Place on either side of the cut-off section of the large piece of cake. Spread over frosting.
- Knead fondant on a clean bench until smooth. Roll between two sheets baking paper until 3mm thick. Using a 7cm round cutter, cut out a circle. Re-roll fondant into a 30cm long strip, about 5cm wide. Place circle and strip on cake, as pictured. Decorate with stars, M&M’s and cachous. Insert sparklers just before serving, if you like.