4 middle bacon rashers, finely chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 litre chicken stock
500 g bag frozen peas
cracked black pepper, to taste
crusty bread, to serve (optional)
- Heat an oiled stockpot over a medium to high heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring, until browned and crisp. Remove. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Heat oil in same stockpot over a medium to high heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft.
- Add stock. Bring to boil. Add peas and half the bacon. Return to boil. Simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, or until peas are tender. Remove from heat
- Using a stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Season with pepper.
- Top soup with remaining bacon and serve with crusty bread.