½ cup port
⅓ cup caster sugar
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 2cm pieces
2 cups frozen cranberries
2 Tbsp apricot jam
1 tsp finely grated orange rind
salt and pepper to taste
- Combine port, sugar, star anise and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Gently boil for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, peel apples. Cut into quarters and discard cores. Cut quarters into 2cm pieces.
- Add apples to port mixture in pan. Return to boil. Cover with lid. Simmer over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- Stir in frozen cranberries, jam and rind. Cover with lid. Cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes, or until cranberries are plump and sauce is hot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer sauce to a heatproof jug. Cool. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.