160 g vermicelli noodles
3 Tbsp olive oil
500 g pork mince
½ tsp Chinese five spice
½ tsp chilli powder (optional)
1 large brown onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5 cm piece ginger, grated
3 long green chilllies, thickly sliced
½ Chinese cabbage (wombok), thinly sliced
125 ml hot water
125 ml oyster sauce
3 tsp tamari sauce or light soy sauce
3 tsp sesame oil
150 g frozen peas
1 handful green beans, thinly sliced
6 green shallots, sliced diagonally
100 g bean sprouts
Crispy vermicelli noodles, to serve
- Put vermicelli in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes. Drain well and chop into 5cm lengths. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp of the olive oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. Add mince and cook, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes or until browned. Stir in five spice and chilli powder, if using. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Return wok or pan to heat and add remaining olive oil. Add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and stir-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in cabbage and hot water, then add sauces and sesame oil. Cook for 8 minutes or until just soft, then add peas, green beans and green shallots.
- Stir in softened vermicelli, bean sprouts and mince. Divide chow mein among serving bowls and top with crispy vermicelli to serve.