400 g pumpkin, peeled and deseeded, chopped
160 g (1 cup) wholemeal self-raising flour
115 g (¾ cup) self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
½ tsp mixed spice
30 g light margarine
2 tbsp low-fat Greek-style plain yoghurt
½ tsp light margarine, per scone, to serve
- Put pumpkin in a steamer basket over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until very tender. Transfer to a medium bowl. Mash until smooth. Set aside until cooled completely.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C (fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper. Put flours and spice in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Using your fingertips, rub in margarine. Add cooled mashed pumpkin and yoghurt. Using a flat-bladed knife, mix until the dough starts to come together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and bring together to form a ball. Press or roll out dough to 1.5cm thick. Using a 4cm round cutter, cut out 24 rounds, rerolling and pressing out dough when necessary.
- Arrange rounds on prepared tray, so they are just touching each other. Dust with a little extra flour. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through.
- Split scones in half and spread each with ½ tsp margarine. Serve.