1 bunch english spinach
25 g butter
1 onion finely chopped
250 g ciabatta bread
1 packet salad leaves to serve
6 eggs lightly beaten
2 cups milk
2 tsps dijon mustard
1.5 cups grated vintage cheddar (180 g)
- Grease a large, shallow ovenproof dish (8-cup capacity).
- Trim and discard stems from spinach. Shred leaves. Wash under cold water. Drain well.
Melt butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add spinach. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, or until wilted. Transfer to a bowl. Leave to cool.
- To make custard, whisk eggs, milk and mustard in a large jug. Whisk in cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Tear bread into 3cm pieces. Place in prepared dish and top evenly with spinach mixture. Pour custard over. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours, or overnight, to soak.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 55 minutes, or until the custard is set. Cover loosely with foil during cooking if the top starts to over-brown. Stand for 15 minutes.
- Serve with a green salad.