200 g baby spinach leaves
225 g fresh ricotta (1 cup)
½ cup finely grated Parmesan, plus extra to serve
½ cup plain flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 clove garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper, to taste
Extra plain flour, for dusting
Fresh basil leaves, to serve
350 g jar avjar relish
400 g can crushed tomatoes
½ cup water
- Rinse spinach under cold water. Drain. Add spinach to a large non-stick frying pan. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until wilted. Transfer to a bowl. Cool. Place in a clean tea towel. Squeeze out excess moisture. Roughly chop.
- Combine spinach, ricotta, parmesan, flour, eggs and garlic in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Using floured hands, roll tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on a tray dusted with flour. Cover. Refrigerate until firm.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a rapid boil. Add dumplings in two batches. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until floating and firm. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- To make avjar sauce, combine all ingredients in same large saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Add dumplings to sauce. Stir to coat. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Avjar Sauce