4 free-range eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup caster sugar
⅔ cup self-raising flour
⅓ cup plain flour
50 g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
300 ml tub thickened cream
¼ cup icing sugar mixture
¾ cup lemon curd
halved fresh strawberries, to decorate
fresh passionfruit pulp, to decorate
- Grease two 20cm-round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges.
- Beat eggs and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the wire whisk attachment, for about 7 minutes, or until very thick. Add sugar, 1 tblsp at a time, beating well between each addition, until sugar is dissolved.
- Sift combined flours twice onto a sheet of baking paper. Sift again over egg mixture. Using a hand-held balloon whisk, gently fold in until combined. Do not stir. Gently fold in butter. Divide evenly between prepared pans.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and sponges slightly shrink away from sides of pans. Remove. Stand in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- Beat cream and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- To assemble, place one sponge on a serving plate. Spread with curd, then ¾ cup of the cream. Place remaining sponge on top. Spread with remaining cream.
Decorate with strawberries and passionfruit.