2 cups pitted dates chopped (340 g)
2 cups water (500 mls)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100 g unsalted butter chopped (room temperature)
1 cup brown sugar (200 g)
1.5 cups self-raising flour (240 g)
½ tsp ground allspice
1 granny smith apple peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
300 ml cream to serve
1 cup brown sugar firmly packed (200 g)
200 mls pure cream
100 g unsalted butter chopped
- Grease eight ovenproof dishes (1¹⁄³-cup capacity).
- Place dates and water in a saucepan. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in soda. Cool slightly.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in combined sifted flour and allspice, then date mixture and apple until smooth. Divide among prepared dishes. Place dishes on an oven tray.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 25 minutes, or until cooked (when a skewer comes out clean).
- To make caramel sauce, combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Stir over a low heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Bring to boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Drizzle warm puddings with caramel sauce. Serve with cream.