¾ cup pitted dates (130 g), chopped
¼ cup water
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 Granny Smith apples (147 g each)
Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
25 g unsalted butter
½ cup thickened cream
⅓ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- Finely grate rind from orange. Cut in half, then juice orange. Combine rind and juice in a medium saucepan with dates, water and cinnamon. Bring to boil. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes, or until dates are soft and liquid has evaporated. Remove. Cool slightly.
- Core apples. Cut each apple crossways into three equal slices. Reassemble apples, spreading 1 tbsp date mixture between each slice. Place on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 35 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- To make caramel sauce, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir over a high heat until boiling. Gently boil for about 4 minutes, or until thickened. Remove.
- Serve warm apples with ice-cream. Drizzle with warm sauce.