1 ½ cups pitted dates, chopped (250g)
1 ½ cups freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup mixed dried fruit (150g)
250 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 ½ cups self-raising flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
Brandy caramel sauce
1 ½ x 300 ml tubs thickened cream
1 ½ cups brown sugar, firmly packed
25 g unsalted butter, chopped
⅓ cup brandy
1 ½ tbsp cornflour
1 ½ tbsp water
- Grease a round 24cm bundt tin.
- Combine dates and juice in a saucepan. Bring to boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in soda. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Add fruit. Cool to room temperature.
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Stir into fruit mixture. Add combined sifted flour and spices. Mix well. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 50 minutes, or until skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make sauce. Combine all ingredients, except cornflour and water, in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Blend cornflour and water in a small jug. Stir into pan. Bring to boil. Gently simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Serve warm pudding with warm brandy caramel sauce.